The “C” program began in 1946, when the SC General Assembly recognized the limited ability of local governments to provide funding for maintenance of roads and streets. State funds, at that time, were used to develop a basic network of paved roads throughout the state, which in many cases, left unaddressed the transportation needs of local communities. Because of this problem, the General Assembly established a system where monies collected from gas taxes and licenses were to be spent on secondary or local roads, evolving into the program operating today.
Although many people think that the “C” in the name of the program stands for county, the “C” actually received its name from a designation for state highway funding programs during the early 1950s. Over time, the “C” was popularized as a label for funding of local roads projects by local and state agencies.
In 1994, the “C” Fund laws were revised by removing the legislative delegation as the decision-making body for allocating the funds and replaced with a local governing board at the County level. Members are appointed by the county’s legislative delegation and serve at their pleasure. The primary responsibility of the Committee is preparation of the county transportation plan, to include the prioritization of road improvements.
The Colleton County Transportation Committee consists of 7 members appointed from around the County. The Committee’s regular monthly meetings are on the second Thursday of the month at 6:00 PM in County Council Chambers on the 3rd Floor of the Old Jail Building located on Benson Street. Agendas are posted on this page for each meeting.
To submit a request for a road to be improved by the County Transportation Committee, contact the CTC through the following staff person:
Carla Harvey, County Engineer
Colleton County Government
P.O. Box 157
Walterboro, SC 29488